In the last communications by the European Commission, an ambitious plan was presented to reduce the total greenhouse gas emissions of Europe at an increased pace. Globally, society and government understand the urgency to stop climate change to prevent devastating, costly, irreversible disasters.
The building sector produces 36% of the greenhouse gas emissions in Europe. The proposed European legislation as part of the Renovation Wave under the Green Deal introduces “Fit for 55” where buildings and transportation will be able to trade emission rights. To enforce the reduction of carbon emissions towards 55% by 2030, the right of greenhouse gas emissions will be annually reduced towards its goals. Building emissions will be monitored by annual reports of building owners to local institutes. The 2030 target plan includes preventing the lower incomes to pay the bill of the energy transition.
LEARN MORE about Renewable energy current issues.
Benefits of having PowerNEST on the roof
Sustainable Building Regulations
The Paris Agreement carried the monumental realization of the rapid development of Climate Change and the irreversible effect on humanity, nature, and our planet. Many countries and nations took immediate action entering the energy transition by means of new legislation for building owners. Each country introduced specific regulations to boost energy transition measures in the construction market to contribute to the globally necessary sustainability goals.
How much energy does PowerNEST generate?
The full roof PowerNEST system for medium to high-rise buildings is designed to generate up to 6 times more energy than the current solar panels on the limited roof space. PowerNEST is a rooftop structure that contains an integrated and modular solar and wind energy system that enhances the wind flow by a Venturi effect and uses solar cooling. The PowerNEST can generate all the electric energy needed for up to 15 levels of a residential building, designed for existing and new buildings with a flat roof.
The amount of energy depends on 1. The roof size and height 2. Building orientation 3. Geographic location 4. Surrounding obstacles
Interested to know
How much PowerNEST generates on your roof?
Why is PowerNEST unique?
PowerNEST aerodynamically enhances solar panels and wind turbines on a most optimal designed modular structure.
– Aerodynamic features capture the wind into the PowerNEST structure
– The venturi effect accelerates the windspeed up to 140 – 160%
– The wind flow is guided towards a vertical axis turbine multiplying its annual output by 4
– Wind speed as low as 2 m/s is enough to generate energy in an urban environment
– Turbine generates energy up to 15 m/s – ‘Survival windspeed’ of 60 m/s
– Noise level aligns with the building code
– Zero annoyance of acoustics or vibration
– Full utilization of the roof space with highest efficiency ratio per square meter for energy production.
– Wind-induced cooling of panels to increase efficiency
– Bi-facial feature is optimally used due to the height of PowerNEST structure
– Solar hardware to the highest efficiency and quality standard.
– Visible renewable energy
– Customization possibilities in color and appearance
– Modular design integrated with the building shape
– Bird and bat-friendly
– Extended roof lifetime
Building energy management
– All year available energy production and consumed at the point of use
– Shaded roof reduces building cooling demand on the top floor by 38% and overall by 10%
– Providing energy at different peak times reducing net-metering dependency
– Lower battery capacity is required for energy storage
-Smart Grid applicable.
What is PowerNEST?
PowerNEST is a full roof solution that aerodynamically enhanced wind and solar energy to generate up to 6 times more energy than the current solar panels on the limited roof space. It adds up the following efficiencies: 1. Optimized solar roof canopy resulting in >100% use of roof space 2. Venturi accelerated wind energy adding another +50% power/year 3. Induced cooling of solar panels resulting in +10 -15% solar power/year, and 4. Bottom reflections are used for bi-facial solar adding +20-30% power/year.
- Generate your energy where it is used
- Wind and solar combined for most power on your roof space
- 24/7 and 365 days power coverage
- Novel and award-winning technology
- Aesthetic architectural roof addition
- Zero annoyance of acoustics or vibrations
- Placed in a day minimizing nuisance for residents
- Extending the building lifetime
- Reducing the energy cost of tenants
- Attractive business case and payback time
- An awesome innovation and a great team to work with
- Meet EU and international building code
PowerNEST suitable for different types of the buildings
For residential, commercial and public buildings with a flat roof, any roof size, building height of five levels or higher, in urban, inland, island and coastal locations. Buildings on islands and direct coastal locations can be less than 5 levels.
Learn more about our technology
PowerNEST starting point
PowerNEST is an award-winning product that has received an impressive list of grants and awards since the first product idea and concept was invented by our CEO, Dr. Alexander Suma, during his PhD at the University of Miami in 2009. Dr. Suma came up with the idea due to his awareness of the 24/7 running air conditioners on the street he lived in Miami. Realizing there are 6 million people living in the Miami-Dade area who all use air conditioners, he believed this what to change and should be done more sustainably.
Videos of PowerNEST
Watch our playlist where you can learn more about PowerNEST – how it works, technology insights, architectural integration, virtual tour, results, and many more. Check our page or visit our IBIS Power channel on YouTube.